Location: Mechanical Engineering Building, MC102, 5 King's College Rd., Toronto, ON M5S
Mar 17, 2017 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM
This event is part of the MIE Departmental Seminar Series.
Title: Splat formation issue in thermal spray process
Speaker: Professor Masahiro Fukumoto, Toyohashi University of Technology
Abstract: Transition in a flattening behavior of the thermally sprayed metallic materials has been recognized in our previous systematic investigations. Based on the results, a hypothesis, ultra-rapid cooled chill structure preferentially formed at the bottom part of the splat may play an essential role for the generation of the disk splat, has been proposed. Universality of this hypothesis beyond material difference was verified experimentally by using several kinds of ceramic materials, having different thermal properties. To perform this, Al2O3, Y2O3 and YSZ powder materials were plasma sprayed onto AISI304 stainless steel substrate, and fraction change of the disk splat with substrate temperature increase was investigated followed by the precise observation on the cross-section microstructure of the splats. The results showed that unique amorphous and chill structure were observed in Al2O3 and Y2O3 splat at their bottom part, respectively, indicating that similar disk formation mechanism may act in these materials. On the other hand, only normal columnar structure was recognized in YSZ splat. As a result, our hypothesis was verified partially regardless of the materials difference.
Bio: RESEARCH FIELDS
- Surface Modification: Thermal Spray, Cold Spray, Aero-Sol Deposition, Process control, Modeling, Simulation, Evaluation.
- Bulk Welding: Friction Stir Welding, Fusion Welding, Process control, Simulation.
- Class of Fellow, ASM International, Japan Mechanical Engineers Society, Japan Welding Society
- Hall of Fame Selection Committee: ASM International/TSS, 2012-.
- Thermal Spray Society Board: ASM International/TSS, 2010-.
- President of Japan Thermal Spray Society, 2009-2015.
- Program Committee, ASM/Thermal Spray Society, 2005-.
- Awards Committee, ASM/Thermal Spray Society, 2006-.
- Regular Board of Director: Japan Welding Society, Japan Institute of Metals.
- Councilor: Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Technical Program Chairman of ITSC-2004, Osaka Japan.
- Chairman of ATSC-2005, ATSC, Nagoya, Japan.
- Guest Lecturer in ITSC-2004 Education Course, Osaka Japan.
- Member of the ASM International, Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Japan Institute of Metals, Japan Thermal Spray Society, Japan Automotive Engineering Society.
- National or International Collaborations with M. I. Boulos (University of Sherbrooke, Canada), J. Mostaghimi (Toronto University, Canada), P. Fauchais, A. Vardelle(Limoges University, France)
- Winner of 25 academic awards in various Societies, Int. Conferences and Journals.