Faculty Council sets and approves academic policy, principles, priorities, and the general direction for the teaching and research activities of the Faculty. Reporting up through Faculty Council are several committees including the Admissions Committee, Committee on Community Affairs and Gender Issues, Curriculum Committee, Graduate Education Committee, Scholarships and Awards Committee, Teaching Methods and Resources Committee, and Committee on Examinations.
Among its many roles and duties, Faculty Council:
- establishes policies regarding academic matters
- establishes committees for the conduct of council business
- advises the Dean on matters relating to academic matters
- approves and regulates standards of admissions
- delegates authority for administration of its policies to its committees and academic administrative officers
- elects Chairs of Committees
Proposed Revisions to the Faculty’s Constitution and Bylaws
In July 2018, a working group was struck to amend the Faculty’s Constitution and Bylaws to reflect teaching-stream faculty appointment categories and to establish delegated authority with respect to for-credit certificates. At the same time, the working group undertook to modernize and, where advisable, align the language in these documents with best practices recommended by Governing Council.
Members of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering and its Council are invited to provide feedback on proposed revisions to the Faculty’s Constitution and Bylaws as described in the following “change history” documents. Please submit comments to email@example.com by the end of Friday, January 25, 2019.
Feedback may also be provided to members of the Working Group to Review the FASE Constitution and Bylaws at a town hall meeting on January 30, 2019 from 9:00-11:00 am in BA2001 (enter at 44 St. George Street). If interested, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposed revisions to the Constitution and Bylaws will be brought forward for approval at the April 11, 2019 Faculty Council meeting.
2018–2019 Academic Year
Mark your calendar! Faculty Council meeting dates for the 2018-2019 academic year are as follows:
- Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Tuesday, December 18, 2018
- Wednesday, February 27, 2019
- Thursday, April 11, 2019
All Council meetings take place from 12:10 to 2 p.m. in the Michael E. Charles Council Chamber (GB202).
Submission deadlines for all reports are as follows:
|Governance Cycle||Executive Committee submission deadline*||Executive Committee mailing||Executive Committee meeting||Council Submission Deadline||Faculty Council mailing||Faculty Council meeting|
|1||Sep 19||Sep 26||Oct 3||Oct 10||Oct 17||Oct 31|
|2||Nov 15||Nov 22||Nov 29||Nov 29||Dec 4||Dec 18|
|3||Jan 22||Jan 29||Feb 5||Feb 6||Feb 13||Feb 27|
|4||Mar 7||Mar 14||Mar 21||Mar 21||Mar 28||Apr 11|
* Forward reports to email@example.com.
Faculty Council Meeting Documentation
Faculty Council Documents & Resources
- Bylaws of the Council of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (May 2010)
- Constitution of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (March 2014)
- Procedures for Committees of Council of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering(December 2011)
- Rules of Order for the Council of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (November 2008)
Standing Committee Documents
- Membership in Academic Appeals Board and Standing Committees of Council, 2018-2019
- Academic Appeals Board Manual (December 2010)
- Admissions Committee Manual (March 2014)
- Community Affairs and Gender Issues Committee Manual (December 2011)
- Engineering Graduate Education Committee Manual (May 2007)
- Examinations Committee Manual (December 2010)
- Research Committee Manual (April 2012)
- Scholarships and Awards Committee Manual (February 1999)
- Teaching Methods and Resources Committee Manual (October 2014)
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Manual (December 2017)
Questions about Faculty Council or other governance matters? Contact Caroline Ziegler, Faculty Governance and Programs Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.