Election of Speaker of Faculty Council, 2019-2020
At the conclusion of the April 11, 2019 Council meeting, Professor Doug Reeve completed his term as Council Speaker.
According to our Faculty’s constitution, the presiding officer of Council shall be the Speaker, who shall be a member of Council other than the Dean, Vice- and Associate Deans and members of standing committee of Council, and shall be elected annually by the members of Council.
We now call for nominations for the Speaker of Faculty Council for the 2019-2020 academic year. Please complete and submit the nomination form to the Secretary of Faculty Council by 4:00 pm on Monday, April 29, 2019 at firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver it to 44 St. George Street.
Professor Reeve is seeking re-election.
Posted April 15, 2019
Faculty Council sets and approves academic policy, principles, priorities, and the general direction for the teaching and research activities of the Faculty. Reporting up through Faculty Council are several committees including the Admissions Committee, Committee on Community Affairs and Gender Issues, Curriculum Committee, Graduate Education Committee, Scholarships and Awards Committee, Teaching Methods and Resources Committee, and Committee on Examinations.
Among its many roles and duties, Faculty Council:
- establishes policies regarding academic matters
- establishes committees for the conduct of council business
- advises the Dean on matters relating to academic matters
- approves and regulates standards of admissions
- delegates authority for administration of its policies to its committees and academic administrative officers
- elects Chairs of Committees
2018–2019 Academic Year
Mark your calendar! Faculty Council meeting dates for the 2018-2019 academic year are as follows:
- Wednesday, October 31, 2018
- Tuesday, December 18, 2018
- Wednesday, February 27, 2019
- Thursday, April 11, 2019
All Council meetings take place from 12:10 to 2 p.m. in the Michael E. Charles Council Chamber (GB202).
Submission deadlines for all reports are as follows:
|Governance Cycle||Executive Committee submission deadline*||Executive Committee mailing||Executive Committee meeting||Council Submission Deadline||Faculty Council mailing||Faculty Council meeting|
|1||Sep 19||Sep 26||Oct 3||Oct 10||Oct 17||Oct 31|
|2||Nov 15||Nov 22||Nov 29||Nov 29||Dec 4||Dec 18|
|3||Jan 22||Jan 29||Feb 5||Feb 6||Feb 13||Feb 27|
|4||Mar 7||Mar 14||Mar 21||Mar 21||Mar 28||Apr 11|
* Forward reports to email@example.com.
Faculty Council Meeting Documentation
Faculty Council Documents & Resources
- Bylaws of the Council of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (May 2010)
- Constitution of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (March 2014)
- Procedures for Committees of Council of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering(December 2011)
- Rules of Order for the Council of the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (November 2008)
Standing Committee Documents
- Membership in Academic Appeals Board and Standing Committees of Council, 2018-2019
- Academic Appeals Board Manual (December 2010)
- Admissions Committee Manual (March 2014)
- Community Affairs and Gender Issues Committee Manual (December 2011)
- Engineering Graduate Education Committee Manual (May 2007)
- Examinations Committee Manual (December 2010)
- Research Committee Manual (April 2012)
- Scholarships and Awards Committee Manual (February 1999)
- Teaching Methods and Resources Committee Manual (October 2014)
- Undergraduate Curriculum Committee Manual (December 2017)
Questions about Faculty Council or other governance matters? Contact Caroline Ziegler, Faculty Governance and Programs Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.